Saturday, November 13, 2010

An IUD story!


So, on Wednesday (Nov. 3)I got my IUD. I nearly passed out when it was put in...but apparently that is not uncommon. I managed to get home and get some ibuprofen in me but I was not feeling good. I checked the internet, my main source of medical genius, and felt pretty confidant that everything was normal. I started feeling a little better but was having some pretty intense shooting pains. Also, not unheard of with the IUD. (sidenote: I had one for 4 years and never had a lick of trouble) Finally, on Sunday, the pains weren't going away. So I called my Dr. She said either to come into the ER or to her office in the morning just to make sure it was in the right place. Jordan and I talked it over. The plan was to get all the kids down and for me to go to the ER by myself and get it taken care of so Monday could be a normal day. (Life of a mom.) So I head on to the ER around 8:30. I was checked in right behind the scary guy in handcuffs. I didn't have to wait...they ushered me on back to begin my myriad of exams. About an hour into my visit an ultrasound was ordered. A 40 minute ultrasound...not the comfy kind. I had a feeling things weren't good. An hour after that a CT scan was ordered. I knew things weren't good then. The fam was put on call. After the CT I was ushered back to the partial room I shared with a 9 year old boy. I waited and waited and waited. Finally, the news came at 12:30am. They found the IUD hanging out in my lower abdominal area...no where near my uterus. I had a hole in my uterus and possible holes/tears in my intestines. They told me I was going to have emergency surgery to get my IUD out. The kid on the other side of the curtain burst into tears. He was sobbing saying that he didn't want to have surgery to get his IUD out too. I was then moved into a private room. My Dr. got there and explained that if my intestines were torn I was having major surgery and coming out with part of my intestines removed and a temporary colostomy bag. HOLY COW. Jordan got there with the baby and I was wheeled off to surgery. Thank goodness my intestines were not perforated and I was able to have laproscopic surgery to get the thing out. I did have to be intubated and catheterized but all in all it was not a bad surgery. It only lasted about an hour. The anesthesia knocked me on my rear and I threw up a bazillion times. Jordan loaded me and my throw up cup into the car and we were home by 5am. I've had a groggy week...but I am feeling much better now.
Jordan was my hero this week. It is actually his birthday today! He did a great job being Mr. Mom. So thankful for that man!

1 comment:

emma jacob said...

3D ultrasounds opened a new revolution in this century we should thank the Olaf von Ramm who is the developer of the new revolution .its really amazing Idea i can see the very clear View Of My 2nd baby in My ovary :)